Beauty begins with Healthy Skin. The ideal state for skin is dewy, clear, smooth, resilient and luminous. This optimal complexion doesn’t come naturally. It’s something that must be worked toward with a consistent and effective natural skincare routine. Caring for your skin means first being aware of your skin type and skin concern then get the right products and right treatment to complement your complexion. It also helps you find specific tips and tricks for that skin type.
Skin types can change, so you may need to update your routine at some point in your life. Factors such as age, stress, lifestyle patterns, medications, weather, hormonal changes can also affect your skin. Plus, you may need different skin products during your menstrual cycle or during different seasons.
Much to my surprise, many people that I first met don’t really know their skin types, don’t know what are the right skincare routine for their skin conditions and they are simply influenced by their peers and family. Here are a few amazing cases that I have gathered:
3-Step To Determine Your Skin Type
Assessing your skin is the first and most crucial step in building any effective natural skincare routine. Here are the following easy steps to determine your skin type:
- Wash your face and gently pat dry
- Leave your face alone for 1-2 hour without putting any skin care products
- Observe and examine your skin and decide which of the following profiles is your best match.
Skin Type Chart
How to care
1. Use natural oils rich in essential fatty acids to combat dryness, such as cranberry seed oil, which is superb emollient and conditioner for the skin
2. Avoid using hot water and harsh soaps whilst cleansing as this further dries the skin
1. Try using clay masks, such as bentonite clay to help absorb excess oils and to deep cleanse the skin
2. Don’t over wash your face as this can cause oiliness to worsen and cause even more surface oil to emerge.
3. Avoid heavier creams. Stick to light emulsion and watery, gel-based moisturizer
How to care
1. Try using jojoba oil as a daily moisturizer. It has a similar structure to sebum (the natural oils in our skin) and will help to balance the skin
2. If the differences between your dry and oily areas are extreme, it can be beneficial to use different product types on contrasting areas of the face
1. Pomegranate oil works great as a facial oil as it is rich in antioxidants to help maintain the health of the skin by fighting off free radicals
2. Aqua hydrating toners, antioxidant-rich serum, light emulsions
3. Skin that needs moisture, protection and regular exfoliation to maintain a healthy glow
4. Avoid products which are designed for skin concerns you don’t have.
5. Products made for combination skin are usually a good choice for normal skin as well
Natural Skincare for Dry Skin
Low production of oil and lack of hydration can make the skin feel very tight, irritated and look scally. Dehydrated skin can often over compensate by overproducing oil. As a result, it can feel tight and rough to the touch. Don't forget to gently exfoliate for maximum penetration of your nourishment and to avoid clogs such as whiteheads and blackheads. Treat your skin with lots of nourishment and love!
Natural Skincare for Oily Skin
Oil patrol! An oily skin type is great as you will have fewer wrinkles due to the extra barrier protection. Finding the balance is key, so don't be afraid to nourish. Daily exfoliation, continuous toning for balance and breathable moisture are key!
Natural Skincare for Normal / Combination Skin
Combination is also known as "normal" skin. This means you don't have too much oil and you are not too dry, you are the perfect mix! The key to treating your different skin eco-systems in the skin is by addressing both the oiliness and the dryness. A full balanced daily regimen with a weekly exfoliation and mask is the way to go!
Relevant Article: learn more about How to Tackle your Skin Concerns/Problems